Friday, November 21, 2003

Today was probably the most occupied day I had.

At 8am in the morning, I got to the bus stop outside Clementi MRT station to meet 5 other people and Mrs. Wong. We were going to Ngee Ann Polytechnic for Round 2 of the Maths Carnival as we were the top 3 students from our school from the E. Maths and A. Maths category (3 from each). We took a public bus to the venue and realized we were early (thanks to smooth traffic). Once again, we were in a computer lab (a different computer lab though). When the lab was almost filled, we began the online test. When the test was over (10 minutes shorter than Round 1) I realized I was slow; I did not reach any questions on trigonometry, but my friends encountered quite a few. However, after a very long wait for the others in the A. Maths category to finish, I found myself in Top 5. That meant I would proceed on to the stage quiz later to compete in front of an audience. Another student from our school, You Jin, also got into the Top 5 for the E. Maths category. He kept telling me how he will freak out on the stage.

Guess what? In the end, he was the champion of the stage quiz for the E. Maths category. Me? I got consolation (to be exact, fourth). I realized I was only nervous on the stage if I'm on the stage for a competition (acting, not at all nervous). Maybe it's just my preference for freedom on the stage.

Once the prize-presentation ceremony was over, and we had taken a photo together, I rushed back to school for the second half of the Councillor ROD (Relief of Duties). I arrived at the Canteen, a bit wet due to the drizzle, and found out, to my relief, that the Councillors were still playing games, and the teachers and Guest-of-Honour have not arrived yet. They came soon, and we began the more formal part of the ceremony. After some talk here, some talk there, and the presentation of plaques and certificates to the graduating Councillors and bookmarks to the Sec 1 Councillors, it was time to EAT!

Then there was more talk until I realized it was 1.50pm, 50 minutes past the scheduled time to end. I told Shifang to meet me at Chua Chu Kang MRT station at 1.45pm so that we can book our class chalet. Kegan told me to go off first, and I did. I arrived at CCK MRT station at around 2.30pm, found him, and went off into Lot 1 Shopping Mall, onto the 4th storey, and into the chalet booking centre. It didn't take long, and we were out, with 20 minutes for me to spare. After changing into my Council T-shirt I sped off to The Chevrons to help in the decoration of the Multi-Purpose Hall for the Graduation Nite later on.

I arrived at The Chevrons just as the non-EXCO Councillors arrived. We went to the Multi-Purpose Hall to find tables and chairs set up, as if it was somebody's wedding. Ms Wassan and Mr. Chia arrived later, and we waited for the balloons and the pumps to arrive. The EXCO members arrived later and we started pumping balloons with helium gas. Since it was helium gas, we had to be extremely careful (the ceiling was high). We grouped the black and white balloons into bundles of 5 according to colour (since the theme for the night was Black and White), and when Mr. Tan (former student of NHSS who took over Mrs. Lim's Art lessons last year when she had to go off for a course) arrived, we began to tie the balloons together as a column. Occasional balloons flew to the ceiling, so our smart brains (...) began working. We got a big bundle of balloons, tied the strings to a yarn long enough to reach the ceiling, and released the balloons onto the ceiling, trying to use static to bring the balloons down. That bundle of balloons became the saviour for most balloons that flew to the ceiling.

As 7pm approached, graduating students began turning up. They were no longer in their uniforms, but in black and white (most anyway) and with the girls sporting make-up, something they couldn't do in school (unless it's a performance of course). It was mostly the girls who dressed well, but I did spot a Sec 5 guy who dressed well.

Sec 3 Councillors were entitled to stay throughout the Graduation Nite, but I didn't, because I didn't want to miss Survivor at 10pm, so I went home.

Phew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home