Tuesday, December 16, 2003

It was a few minutes past midnight. It was only when Wei Loong exclaimed and Bernice brought out the cake that I realized slowly:

I've grown one year older.

I wasn't the only one; Wei Loong was also celebrating his birthday today. Unlike me, though, he goes all out to publicise his birthday.

It felt strange as the people put the candles, lit them and sang the birthday song, because it was the first time I was celebrating my birthday with my friends. I didn't even cared to celebrate that Sandra won Survivor: Pearl Islands; it must have been one of the happiest moments of my life this year. I wasn't even expecting anything.

We played till 2am in the morning, then went to "bed"; I took up a spot on the beanbag chair. Positioning the pillow under my head and holding my birthday present (a green light stick) in my hand, I slowly fell asleep to the music of Stefanie Sun...

***

I felt someone lightly tap my feet. Opening my eyes, I realized that was Kegan, and the sky has lighten up. 6.55am, my watch showed. Slowly, we got up and did our stuff. By the time we were changed and stepped out of the house, it was 7.45am. Reminding ourselves that we had to be in school by 8am, we got down, took a short bus trip and then took 2 taxis (guys in one, girls in one) to school. Arriving in school at a few minutes past eight, someone told us later that the event this morning (Symbolic Move on-site planning) will start at 8.30am instead. Panting slightly, we went to put our stuff in the Student Lounge and had a sandwich before heading out to the parade ground to start the planning.

The whole thing ended 2 hours earlier than scheduled. Maybe the teachers realized there were a lot of things to decide and settle. While the others headed home, Jane and I still had a lot of things to do. The first Sec 1 Registration meeting is tomorrow, and we had not prepared anything. We spent the whole afternoon doing the stuff needed for tomorrow, going home at 6.40pm.

By the end of the day, I had clean forgotten that today was my birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home