Friday, January 02, 2004

The first day of school is usually not a happy day, because of lessons. Today, it's a little different. For one, this was a Friday, and it seems stupid to start lessons for the year on a Friday. Also, the first day can be dedicated to familiarising the students with the new campus.

I reached school at around 7am in the morning to mark out the locations of the classes. I sweated a lot, running here and there. The morning assembly was a tight squeeze as I sat behind 4/8's row (I'm class councillor of 4/8, marking the first time I'm not taking a Sec 1 class).

After the morning assembly, all but Sec 1s proceeded to the Hall for the new principal's speech. Mr. Foo was an entirely different person from Mr. Loh. Firstly, his English is better than Mr. Loh's, and his Chinese is equally good, if not better. Secondly, he seems to be obsessed with the quality of the toilet more than anything else. Somewhere in the speech, he'll suddenly spring out the word "toilet". I can predict that Mr. Foo will become a popular person among the students.

After Mr. Foo's speech, Kegan said a few words as President of the 11th Student Council. After that, Mr. Lim, the Operations Manager, perhaps the most popular person in the school right now, said some words as well. None of us could have imagined Mr. Lim giving a speech...

After taking 4/8 to their classroom, I returned to my own classroom on level 6, the highest level possible in the school (except the roof). Our new form teacher, Mdm Ameline Sia, was speaking to the class. I got my seat in the second row, in front of Wee Cheng and to the sides of Ai Pheng and Aileen. Mdm Sia got me, as last year's class cleanliness leader, to "unravel" the new whiteboard (which simply involved pulling the plastic covering off the whiteboard surface). After that, she got into her usual boring words with some fun stuff in between. I knew her since I was taught by her in Sec 1. History lessons meant boredom to me then; now, in Sec 4, she's going to teach us English and Social Studies. A bit of administrative stuff later, I went off early to prepare for the familiarisation tour.

During the 3 hours of familiarisation tour (1 hour for each level except Sec 1s), I was walking around the campus. After a few day's work on the traffic flow of classes around the place, I've known the campus inside out. (Okay, that's exaggerating. But I basically know where the main places are.)

There were still quite a lot of things to do after school. I only went home at 4.30pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home