Saturday, January 03, 2004

Went to school this morning for the planning committee meeting for the CCA Extravaganza. (What a mouthful. The next planning committee should consider changing the name.) What we didn't anticipate was that the uniformed groups were having their CCAs today. Coincidentally, most of the planning committee is made up of people from the uniformed groups. In the end, only three people (including me) turned up for the meeting.

Today's meeting was fast. We ended 2 hours earlier than scheduled. We had a bite before heading to level 5 of the Science Block, where Wei Loong taught Joyce and me drills he had learnt from Jane. We went back down at 12pm.

At 1pm, Councillors gathered for the briefing for the Sec 1 Parent-Teacher Conference (PTC). We will be ushering parents into the Hall and to the classrooms when Mr. Foo's speech is over. My duty was Hall I/C, meaning I was in charge of the councillors in the hall. I also had to think (on my feet) the route out of the hall to the classrooms.

Mr. Foo's speech started 15 minutes behind time. He spoke and spoke and spoke (with lots of toilets in between). Suddenly, somewhere during the Q&A session, he springs out the statement, "All girls will be allowed long hair, as long as they're plaited." It took me 5 seconds to respond, and my response was, "Huh?" Then Mr. Foo told a councillor to spread the news to her friends quickly, and I was like, "HUH?!" Mr. Foo didn't seem like the sort who would crack jokes, but this just came unexpectedly.

After he made that sweeping statement (which drew lots of applause from the parents), a teacher told me that they have, in fact, discussed this issue for a long time and had come to a conclusion. Okay, I thought, but my thinking was suddenly thrown off-course by the statement. Sure, it doesn't concern me (since boys will never be allowed long hair), but as Xian Yin pointed out, the long hair proposal our ELDDS sent in might have contributed.

After the talk, the parents went to the classrooms. While the travelling might have been a little chaotic, the rest was okay. A lot of things to settle later; I went home only at 6pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home