Saturday, October 16, 2004

I went to the National Junior College (NJC) Open House today. I initially went alone, but while waiting outside the campus at the bus stop for no reason, I met Kegan, Yan Chen and Paul. Together, we went into the campus via the NJC Walk (a long and narrow walkway), led by Alvin, an ex-Nan Huarian and now a NJCian.

Upon entering, we received goodie bags with notepads, a folder and other souvenirs in it. One of the red-hair Councillors (all Councillors had their hairs dyed red to match the red on their school crest) became our tour guide around the campus. We visited the stadium, gym, squash courts, canteen, linkway, Atrium, 1969 NJC Archives, the library and Bytz (a computer lab). Another group of 4/1ers (Michelle, Zhi Yuan, Juliet, Abraham and Quan Ming) caught up with us in Bytz and all of us went to LT5 together to listen to the Principal's address.

After the Principal's enthusiastic and persuasive address, the original four of us plus Juliet and Yan Chen's friend (?) continued the tour. We visited one of the classrooms, the Student's Lounge (beautifully furnished), the Councillor's Room and what could be considered the amphitheatre with a rock-climbing wall beside it. I was tempted to try rock-climbing, but decided to carry on with the tour without delay.

After that, we made our way back to the linkway where the Harmonica Band was performing. We went up to the air-conditioned hall where some of the CCAs had set up their booths here. I made a beeline for the ELDDS booth and left my name and contact information with the Drama section representative. I met two members of the NJC IP debate team at the ELDDS booth too, and one of them was the still model for ELDDS. We also met Wei Zhe, an ex-Nan Huarian too, who is now in the Harmonica Band. Our tour ended in the Hall too, and we were free to move around after that.

We headed to the canteen for lunch. I had a mushroom omelette set which was pretty tasty despite its price tag ($2.50). After lunch, we went to the gym because Kegan wanted to check out the Table Tennis Club and I wanted to play badminton. All that sweat wasn't enough; I wanted to check out squash too. We went back to the squash courts where, though reluctant at first to find out I was the only one in the group who wanted to try squash, I eventually went into the court on the right side. After spending some 5 minutes in the court looking at a guy who couldn't hit the ball to serve, I laid my hands on the racket and the ball and tried. I couldn't hit it at first, but after a few tries I managed to hit the ball, never mind that I needed more strength. After a while, Kegan came in to try out, and he played fabulously. The rest came in and we played squash in a rotating manner. Kegan was, of course, the best player, while Juliet could only scream everytime a ball flew towards her.

We played non-stop until a NJCian came in to tell us another group wanted to try. Sitting down, we chatted with a Sec 3 NJC IP student, after which we decided to go home. From today, I had a pretty good impression of NJC, but I'll have to check out Hwa Chong JC first before I can decide which to put as my first choice. All in all, I had a great (and sweaty) time, so much so that my right arm was almost about to fall off. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home