Friday, October 01, 2004

Prelim 2004
Paper: 5052/01 Physics


Finally, the last paper of the Preliminary Examination, and though it was not very easy, one can't help feeling relieved that Prelim is over.

Then, 12 4/1ers went to East Coast Park for another post-exam outing. A long bus ride on 196 later, we arrived at the McDonald's branch at ECP where we sat down to have lunch amidst an atmosphere apt for Children's Day. After lunch, we headed onto the beach where the tide was getting higher by the minute and plonked our belongings on a stone bench. For a while most of us stood at the shore and let the sea water wash our feet. We tried playing volleyball with a light beach ball we bought just after lunch but failed because the wind was strong enough to send the ball off course. Instead, we played frisbee on the beach. The team I was in scored close to 5 points more than the other team in the first game. Halfway through the second game though, while chasing the frisbee towards inland, my right foot hit something hard (felt like a rock). I examined the injury; the 'rock' had cut the skin between my first and second toes and it only began to bleed, albeit slowly, minutes later. The most we could do then was to wash the wound with water from my bottle and using the tissue to clean it up a bit. Ching Li lent my a plaster later, but it got soaked with blood while the others continued their activities. Fang You was the next unlucky victim, stepping on broken glass pieces. His wound produced more blood and faster, but he was able to stop the bleeding eventually and put the plaster on the wound.

The two of us sat on the stone bench while we watched as the group decided to tease Ai Pheng and XL again. The latter then seemed to isolate himself as the girls played soccer (or tried to) with the beach ball. After who knows how long, I hopped on my one good leg back to the bench with our belongings (careful to avoid sharp objects) and put on the shoe for that leg. The whole bunch of us then returned to McDonald's to wash our legs and feet. I re-washed the wound and placed a new plaster over the wound. Walking like a handicapped, I returned to where the rest were with our belongings.

For the afternoon, half of us (including me; surprise, surprise) decided to bowl at Marine Bowl while the other half went off to play pool at the entertainment centre above McDonald's. I scored a 92 in my second game, my new personal best. Veronica played a total of 6 games, finishing off the last game with 90 points.

Finally getting back my ez-link card at around 4.30pm (I used my ez-link card as verification and identification for the games), I rushed off saying a hurried goodbye, Zhi Yuan's birthday party in my mind for the past 30 minutes. It all started off as an idea of Abraham and Michelle, and some of us were invited to the party. It was meant to be a surprise to Zhi Yuan (hence no mention of it for the past week). The miracle for me now was to get back to Bukit Batok and attend the party within a little over an hour (since the time on the invitation was 5.45pm).

I arrived at Zhi Yuan's condominium at around 6.10pm full of sweat. Most of the other invited guests were present already. The BBQ pit was also fired up already. After reassurance from a few of them that it was all right to come a little later, I walked home (across the road), took a quick bath and change of clothes, replaced the plaster on my foot with a new one and walked back to the party.

It was a little past 7pm already. Most of the guests have arrived, and some of the food has been cooked. I had a quick bite before heading up to Zhi Yuan's apartment on the 5th level with a bunch of people to watch TV. I watched till about 7.30pm, after which I went back down to the BBQ pit. Delia was BBQ-ing chicken wings and she assured me that the two she had on a paper plate beside the pit was cooked throughout. I ate more stuff during that 20 minutes or so and took in the fluid that I needed. When I went back up at around 7.50pm, the TV was still on. We watched through until 9pm, including the minute when Jessea was eliminated from Singapore Idol and Jerry stayed on.

The next activity was probably the climax of the party: cake-cutting. The cake was initially surrounded by ants (none but one of the ants touched the cake) but it was deemed fit for eating. We sang the birthday song for Zhi Yuan and he made his wish and blew the candles. The cake tasted a lot like Ferero Rocher (hope that's the correct spelling), complete with chocolate and nuts. After the climax, some went home while some sought refuge from the drizzle in Zhi Yuan's house. At 9.50pm, I wished the birthday boy "Happy Birthday" and walked home alone.

And nope, I don't feel tired at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home