Friday, December 03, 2004

I'm going to Malacca (that's in Malaysia if you don't already know) with my parents for the next three days to celebrate my grandpa's birthday. From the time I was born till now, I remember the times at my grandpa's (maternal side) better than that on my paternal side (my dad's dad lives in Muar).

We were supposed to wake up at 6am to leave for Malaysia, but I overslept and we only went out at around 8am. We managed to catch the 9.30am bus to Malacca from the Larkin Bus Terminal in Johor Bahru. A 4-hour non-stop ride later (in the past it used to stop over in resthouses like in Yong Peng) we got off at the bus stop outside Kotamas Shopping Centre in Malacca. My mum called my 4th aunt. A few minutes later she came along with her husband and two children in her car and all 7 of us squeezed into the car to grandpa's house, stopping halfway along the road for her husband to collect his van from the repair shop.

My grandpa still lives in a zinc-roofed house in a kampong. When I was younger I used to hate the house, especially the kitchen where the floor had lots of 'holes' and walking over them gave me the creeps. Well, they still do now. Anyway, once we arrived at grandpa's house, we had lunch there before we sat down on the sofa and watched a Hong Kong serial on VCD.

Dinner was about the same, after which it became quite boring. I have more than 10 cousins on my maternal side alone, most of whom are probably less than 10 years old. And it can get pretty lame when all you can do is watch them play all those stupid games. Then I thought back and remembered that I used to be their age and played such games with my other cousins.

Life got a little bearable when I chanced upon the latest episode of Survivor: Vanuatu on ntv7 at around the same time as Singapore airs it. I watched the show that ended at 11pm at my grandpa's neighbour's house (also a relative) before coming back to grandpa's house.

To be continued

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home