Tuesday, August 09, 2005

National Day 2005

It's Singapore's 40th Birthday!

If you'd recall, I got my tickets to watch the NDP at the Padang on Youth Day this year. I would be going with Jackson. We had arranged to meet at City Hall MRT at 3.30pm, which also was the time when ticket-holders to the NDP would be allowed to enter the parade ground, but when I arrived at 3.15pm, the place was already swarming with people dressed in red either heading towards the Padang immediately or waiting for other people. The MRT station became so crowded that SMRT staff had to get people to wait outside the MRT station.

Jackson SMS-ed me to tell me that he had taken the MRT in the wrong direction, and so would be very much late. I decided to walk around the nearby Citylink Mall and back to City Hall MRT station at about 4pm, when Jackson finally arrived, apologetic.

From the MRT station we headed towards the Padang in a sea of red. Entry into the Padang was smoother than I had imagined: we presented our tickets at the entrance, went through a security check with no bags to check and collected our Funpacks, which was the same as the one I got at the NE Show (even the colour was the same). It did take a bit of time for us to get onto the stands and be seated, but eventually we walked up the staircase to the Level 2 seats and moved to our seats. At the same time the Combined Schools' Choir was also walking out onto the central stage to get ready.

After handling the stuff in my Funpack, the Pre-Parade Segment started at roughly 5pm with "Let's Get It Started". I got rather high during the Pre-Parade Segment with the emcees' high spirits. The Parade segment and the Mobile Column were the times for Jackson and I to snack on the food in the FunPack, while the Show segment was, as usual, spectacular. My only point of suggestion was about Act 3 of the Show segment. Unlike during the NE shows, the 8 floats and qualities weren't used as significantly. The version of Act 3 during the NE shows was slightly better and more meaningful.

Dispersal was a less smooth affair. The whole throng of spectators headed to City Hall MRT station had to wait quite a while as SMRT staff and army personnels allowed small groups of people to enter the MRT station, lest it became flooded with people. Jackson and I were rather lucky since we were close to the front of the pack. We both headed to our house first since Jackson's school (JJC) exams were coming and he wanted to get my papers to study. We then headed to Zhi Yuan's house nearby where he also passed Jackson NJC's papers and took him to eat at Kopitiam nearby. I headed home for dinner.

I'm gonna miss NDP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home