Friday, December 16, 2005

Morning at Memory's Border

The two-show run of our mini production "Morning at Memory's Border" ended tonight. This week has felt very long, what with the rehearsals at school on Monday and Tuesday and the rest of our rehearsals at The Substation, where our performance was held.

Monday and Tuesday
Rehearsals in school. Jared still wasn't around on Monday, and Audrey Low could only come after her work, which is after 7pm. Still, we made do with whatever we had.

Wednesday
Today was our Tech cum Dress Rehearsal day. I came to school at 12.30pm to help in the packing and moving of things from the school to The Substation: frames, platforms, clamps, costumes, first aid kit and lots of dance tape. Once we arrived at The Substation (which was slightly before 2pm), we had to wait outside the back gate since it was still locked. When it finally opened, we moved the stuff into the Guinness Theatre.

This was my first time at The Substation's Guinness Theatre. The theatre is an intimate space, where performers are in close proximity to the audience. The lighting was simple, so rigging didn't take too long. The floor was a horror, 'cause the gaps in the parquet flooring was slightly dangerous for our bare feet. So, as a safety precaution, we all had to put dance tape onto our feet.

I was slightly surprised by the backstage area. There was only one entrance point onto the stage from backstage (back of the stage, on the left), and the dressing rooms were below the stage. The dressing rooms and "living room" area reminded me a lot of my grandfather's zinc-roofed kampong house in Malacca. Then again, The Substation was housed in an old shophouse.

We did two full dress runs, ending slightly past 9pm.

Thursday
Our first show was tonight. According to Mrs Creffield, it was a full house (surprisingly, since initially we thought it was going to be at most three-quarters filled; the theatre seats 108), with both young people and adults in the audience.

Friday
Even before I went to bed at 1am, I had already received a few SMSes wishing me a happy birthday. A few more came in after I woke up this morning. The audience was also supposedly full house tonight. After we had all changed out of our costumes, dismantled the set and gathered in the theatre space, Suraj brought in a birthday cake and all of them sang the birthday song to me (twice, for whatever reason I do not know). The committee lovingly bought two teddy bears for me (it's actually one whole toy, with the big bear hugging the smaller one). After the cake was finished, we moved the stuff out of The Substation and into the waiting lorry at the front of the place. Then, all of us boarded the open-air lorry back to school to unload. I headed home after the work was completed. This was the earliest time ever that I had gone home after unloading.

So anyway, thanks to everyone who sent me birthday greetings, I appreciate them. :) Here's to another great year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home